Sherwin Wiliams Warranty
Sherwin Williams Weather XL 40 Year Limited Warranty
We are pleased to present you with the following Limited Warranty on Weather XL Siliconized Polyester coil coatings.
1. This Warranty applies if any of the following Warranty Conditions occurs:
a. Within 40 years from the date of application of the paint, Sherwin Williams Weather XL exhibits cracking, flaking or peeling (loss of adhesion) to an extent that is apparent on ordinary outdoor visual observation. Minute fracturing, which may occur in proper fabrication of the building parts, is not a covered Warranty Condition. Failure due to substrate corrosion is not a covered Warranty Condition.
b. Within 30 years from date of installation of the panels, Sherwin Williams Weather XL:
1. Chalks in excess of ASTM D-4214 method A number six (6) rating on horizontally installed (roofing) panels and a number eight (8) rating on vertically installed (sidewall) panels, when properly maintained as described herein, and
2. Changes color more than seven (7.0) Hunter delta-E units on horizontally installed (roofing) panels and five (5.0) Hunter delta-E units on vertically installed (sidewall) panels as determined by ASTM method D-2244. Color change shall be measured on an exposed painted surface that has been cleaned of surface soils and chalk, and the corresponding values measured on the original or unexposed painted surface. Color changes may not be uniform on surfaces that are not equally exposed to the sun and elements and Sherwin Williams does not warrant color changes will be uniform.
2. If a Warranty condition occurs and the other requirements of this Warranty are met, Sherwin Williams will supply you with the following Warranty benefits:
a. Sherwin Williams will pay for labor and material reasonably necessary to repaint, repair or replace, at their option, the metal panels showing the Warranty Conditions. The Warranty Benefits shall not exceed the original purchase price of the affected metal panels (not including and accessories or attachments) or the remedy provided in any other warranty provided to the building owner, whichever is less, even if our limited warranty fails of its essential purpose. This Warranty will continue to apply to any metal panels that were repainted, repaired or replaced due to a Warranty Condition, but only for the unexpired portion of the Warranty period applicable to the original part.
3. Sherwin Williams cannot control the circumstances of application. Therefore, this Limited Warranty applies only when Weather XL coil coatings are properly applied (according to the application instructions in Sherwin Williams’ then-current Technical Data Sheet) to a properly treated and primed substrate (HDG Steel (G90/G60), Galvalume, and Aluminum) that is fabricated into commercial or industrial building parts. Sherwin Williams does not warrant the use of Weather XL coil coatings with non-Sherwin Williams coatings. Warranty Benefits are available only for all Sherwin Williams coating systems. Also, because some colors may not meet our standards, Sherwin Williams will inform you in writing at the time of the color matching if the color you have selected is not an approved color.
4. To receive Warranty Benefits for the Warranty Condition, you must:
a. Provide proof of purchase by original receipt.
b. Provide Sherwin Williams access to the affected panels and site.
- Assist Sherwin Williams as necessary in determining the exact cause of failure
5. Sherwin Williams is not responsible and provide no Warranty benefits, for any damage or condition resulting from circumstances beyond our control, including any of the following:
a. Acts of God, falling objects, explosions, fire, external forces or other such similar or dissimilar circumstances beyond Sherwin Williams’ control.
b. Harmful fumes or foreign substances in the atmosphere, or salt spray
- Failure to apply Weather XL coil coatings in accordance with our specifications and instructions as outlined on our published technical data sheets
d. Improper treatment or defects in the substrate metal or in its fabrication, embossing. Any corrosion or loss of adhesion as a result of the embossing process
e. Significant differences in insulation below coated metal panel
- Weather XL which has been damaged due to moisture entrapment in coils and/or bundles during transit or storage or which has been stored or installed in such a way that allows standing water on the coating
g. Failures or damage resulting from corrosion at cut/bare edges or failure of the metal substrate
- Development of any condition between the coating and the substrate which causes the coating to degrade or delaminate, including any failure or deficiency in the cleaning process or pretreatment.
i. Weather XL that has been stored/ installed in such a way that allows contact with animals or animal waste
j. Mishandling of Weather XL or of any substrate coated with it, including abuse, alteration, modification, improper use, or storage
k. Where materials/ items such as snow guards and solar panels are attached/ adhered to the product
6. No Warranty is provided for Sherwin Williams Weather XL on any substrate that is subjected to sea spray or installed on property located 1,500 or fewer feet from salt-water environment.
7. If chrome free pretreatment is used, warranty for adhesion must be validated by sample testing of production material. Material must pass fifteen (15) minute boiling water/reverse impact/crosshatch adhesion with no tape off.
8. This warranty applies only to building parts installed on buildings within the Continental United States, Alaska and Canada. This Warranty will automatically expire upon any change or transfer of ownership of the property on which the metal coated with Weather XL is originally installed.
9. This is Sherwin Williams’ only warranty concerning Weather XL Siliconized Polyester coil coatings, Except for this Warranty, Sherwin Williams/WE MAKE NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED AND DISCLAIM ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES INLCUDING WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT ABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR USE OR FREEDOM FROM PATENT INFRINGEMENT. Sherwin Williams WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES. We have no other liability with respect to Weather XL Siliconized Polyester coil coatings, whether based on warranty, negligence or any other legal theory.
10. This is Sherwin Williams’ complete warranty. It lists all of Sherwin Williams’ obligations regarding Weather XL Siliconized Polyester coil coatings purchased by you. This warranty shall be governed by Minnesota law, but not its conflict of law rules
All claims will be handled by the Sherwin Williams Corporation and the customer will not hold Baker Metal Works and Supply liable for any damage due to the result of a defective panel or the customer’s negligence. The investigation of a warranty claim is a thorough process which may take an unrestricted timeframe to come to a final conclusion.
Galvalume 25 Year Warranty
Galvalume is a prime hot dipped Aluminum-Zinc alloy cold rolled sheet steel, with a coating weight of AZ-55.
During the warranty period the Galvalume panel will not rupture, fail structurally or perforate as a result of corrosion caused by exposure to normal atmospheric conditions. The limited warranty shall not apply to processed steel panels exposed at any time to corrosive or aggressive atmospheric conditions, or other post-delivery conditions beyond the control of the manufacturer but not limited to:
- Areas subject to salt water marine atmospheres or to significant spraying of either salt or fresh water.
- Areas subject to fallout or exposure to corrosive chemicals, fumes, ash, cement, dust, animal waste or its decomposition by products, carbon black, fallout from copper, lead, nickel, silver mining or refining operations.
- Areas subject to water run-off from lead or copper flashings or piping or areas in contact with lead or copper.
- Conditions circumstances where corrosive fumes or condensates are generated or released inside any building or enclosure in which the processed steel panels are stored or incorporated within.
No Warranty is provided for Galvalume that is subjected to sea spray or installed on property located 1,500 or fewer feet from salt-water environment.
All claims will be handled by the manufacturer of the steel and the customer will not hold Baker Metal Works and Supply liable for any damage due to the result of a defective panel or the customer’s negligence.
Storage Instructions & Guidelines:
- Store inside a well ventilated, dry location. Do not store outside
- Do not allow moisture to remain between sheet surfaces.
- Break the shipping bands on metal bundle.
- Wipe sheets dry.
- Store metal on end or an incline of at least 8” with support boards underneath to prevent sagging. Fan sheets slightly at the bottom to allow air circulation.
- Keep sheets of metal off the ground in an inclined position with an insulator such as wood.
- Never cover with plastic.
- Moisture between sheets may cause white rust, which can form in as little as 24 hours, and may cause the panel to rust immediately or in several years.
- Direct contact between ACQ or CA treated lumber and metal roofing/ siding panels must be avoided.
- All shavings from screws must be removed in order for rust spots not to form.
Important Information about a Fortified Roof
As more and more homeowners are choosing to build or remodel their home, there has been an increase in homeowners seeking a Fortified Home Certificate for their metal roof. Baker Metal Works currently undergoes testing on our panels. This testing helps inspectors, general contractors, and engineers decide which products work best for your project depending on design and even location. If you are seeking a Fortified Certificate for your home, we strongly urge you to speak to your contractor, home builder and engineer about the proper panel and installation guidelines BEFORE you purchase your roof. Failure to do so could result in your roof NOT meeting the proper guidelines for fortification. We will be happy to share our testing information with your contractor and engineer before you make a purchase.
Oil Canning Standing Seam and 5 V-Crimp
Oil canning is defined as a visual waviness in the flat area of metal panels. All individuals and companies involved with a standing seam or 5 V-crimp project need to be familiar with the phenomenon of oil canning. Oil canning is an inherent property of standing seam and 5 V-Crimp panels and is NOT cause for panel rejection. Many factors can contribute to the degree of natural and unnatural oil canning, including but not limited to deflection due to thermal movement, misaligned substrates or framing and improperly aligned fasteners. Deformation of the panel caused by improper installation or substrate should be addressed by the appropriate contractor. The type of panel surface specified is an important design consideration. To help reduce the appearance of oil canning in standing seam panels, striations or minor ribs can be added to the panel when it is manufactured. Striating a panel consists of roll forming gentle waves into the panel surface. These waves break up the flat area of the panel surface and may help reduce the appearance of oil canning. Ribbing a panel consists of minor ribs in the center of the panel. Choosing a heavier gauge steel will often lessen the appearance of oil canning. In addition, standing seam panels with striations or ribs are the preferred pan condition to lessen the appearance of oil canning. However, the appearance of oil canning could still be visible with ribs or striations.
Galvalume Spangle Pattern
When purchasing Galvalume, please be aware that the spangle pattern can vary slightly between coils. Some coils will have a tight spangle that is small and others can have a larger pattern resulting in a different look. If you are purchasing Galvalume for roofing or siding, it is best to purchase all of your panels at the same time to ensure that they have the same spangle patterns. Panels cut from a different coil with a different spangle pattern can look completely different when placed side by side on a roof or wall.
Canopy kits are quoted for a non-engineered structure only. Plans are not provided by Baker Metal Works for installation or permitting purposes. If a customer acquires a set of stamped, site specific drawings, it is the responsibility of the customer and/or their contractor to provide a material list based on the drawings and measurements in the field for accurate pricing and material manufacturing. Baker Metal Works cannot create a material list from engineered plans. Please note that some of the materials in your plans may need to be special ordered. Keep this in mind when ordering as some special orders could take six (6) to eight (8) weeks before they arrive.
Panel and Trim Variances
Panels and trim may vary slightly from one Baker Metal Works location to the next. Metal coils can also have slight variances. Customers that purchase materials from one location should order any remaining materials needed from that same location. Purchasing all your panels and trim at one time is best practice. We are not responsible for any discrepancies for materials that are purchased at multiple locations or over lengths of time for one job.